The Vegetable Breeding Institute (VBI) includes faculty at Cornell University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison who are conducting basic and applied vegetable breeding research, as well as domestic and international members who actively support VBI research.
The mission of the VBI is five-fold:
- To assure the continued development of improved vegetable breeding lines and varieties to meet future needs of the vegetable industry and the general public.
- To encourage the transition of basic and applied research findings into usable germplasm and methodologies for use by private sector plant breeders.
- To support applied vegetable breeding programs in which both graduate and undergraduate students may train to become capable vegetable breeders of the future.
- To provide a forum in which a continuing dialogue is encouraged between plant breeders in the private and public sectors.
- To ensure the fulfillment of its mission by providing ongoing financial support for vegetable breeding research at institutions represented by participating faculty.
Mary Kreitinger, Executive Director
Vegetable Breeding Institute
School of Integrative Plant Science, Plant Breeding and Genetics Section
317 Bradfield Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: (607) 255-9964
Fax: (607) 255-6683